This year, I have a ton of banana peppers from my two banana pepper plants. I grew them for my hubby since he loves pickled peppers, so this year I made pickled peppers for the first time and wow is it easy! No Canning involved! Whoop whoop! I do love to can but after doing it all summer long, I grow tired of it (gasp!) so here is the recipe for pickled peppers!
6 cups clear vinegar, 5% acidity
2 cups distilled water, not tap
1/2 to 2 cups sugar, depending on preference
Seasonings can vary depending on taste: garlic, bay leaf, basil, doll, or leave plain
Lots of banana peppers, washed, sliced up and deseeded or left whole with slit down the center
1) Wash and slice up peppers.
2) Wash and dry canning jars and their lids.
3) Place peppers in prepared canning jars with seasoning of your choice.
4) Prepare the Brine: place brine ingredients (water, sugar, vinegar) in non-reactive pan (either stainless, enameled or anodized aluminum, not the old fashioned aluminum pans).
5) Bring brine to a boil, stir and turn off heat.
6) Pour hot Brine on peppers to cover. Seal lids and bands and let cool away from drafts. For storage, store away from heat and light.
Note: there is no need to process these since the vinegar (using 5%) keeps the bacteria out! Enjoy!