This is a great beginner recipe if you are new to your bread machine and it is soo good! It makes 2 nice sized loaves and I usually freeze the other one to save for a soup day to have it on the side:) Enjoy!
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
For coating: 1 egg yolk and 1 Tablespoon water mixed together
1) Put wet ingredients in your bread pan first, followed by your dry, then the flour.
2) Add yeast by making a well in the flour and pouring your yeast in the well.
3) Set your bread machine to dough cycle and push start.
4) Once dough cycle is done, it will rise for a while in your bread machine until it lets you know that it is done. Take dough out and place on a lightly floured surface. Split the ball of dough into 2 and mold them gently into 2 separate long loaves.
5) Place both loaves on a sprayed (canola oil spray or any non stick spray) baking sheet spaced apart from each other,covered gently with a clean wet dishrag and let rise for 30-40 mins or until doubled in size.
6) Once it has risen, preheat oven to 375 degrees, remove towel, and just before sticking into the oven on the middle shelf, put your egg wash on the loaves. Cook for 20-25 mins or until golden brown and another way to know it is done, is when it makes a hollow sound by knocking on it. Enjoy!
Note: This french bread is great for making: sandwiches, french toast, Paninis, and homemade croutons!